A sluice is a water channel controlled at its head by a gate. A mill race, leet, flume, penstock or lade is a sluice channelling water toward a water mill. The terms sluice, sluice gate, knife gate, and slide gate are used interchangeably in the water and wastewater control industry.A sluice gate is traditionally a wood or metal barrier sliding in grooves that are set in the sides of the waterway. Sluice gates commonly control water levels and flow rates in rivers and canals. They are also used in wastewater treatment plants and to recover minerals in mining operations, and in watermills.
TYPES OF SLUICE GATE
- Flap sluice gate- A fully automatic type, controlled by the pressure head across it; operation is similar to that of a check valve. It is a gate hinged at the top. When pressure is from one side, the gate is kept closed; a pressure from the other side opens the sluice when a threshold pressure is surpassed.
- Vertical rising sluice gate- A plate sliding in the vertical direction, which may be controlled by machinery.
- Radial sluice gate- A structure, where a small part of a cylindrical surface serves as the gate, supported by radial constructions going through the cylinder's radius. On occasion, a counterweight is provided.
- Rising sector sluice gate- Also a part of a cylindrical surface, which rests at the bottom of the channel and rises by rotating around its centre.
- Needle sluice- A sluice formed by a number of thin needles held against a solid frame through water pressure as in a needle dam.The gates of a Guillotine lock work in a way similar to a sluice gate, but most canal lock gates are hinged to swing like doors.
"Sluice gate" refers to a movable gate allowing water to flow under it. When a sluice is lowered, water may spill over the top, in which case the gate operates as a weir. Usually, a mechanism drives the sluice up or down. This may be a simple, hand-operated, chain pulled/lowered, worm drive or rack-and-pinion drive, or it may be electrically or hydraulically powered.
Specification of Sluice gate-
Sluice gates are manufactured and erected by us with all IS Material according to Design and Drawings at Site or Workshop at the time of Fabrication and Tests shall be Carried out by our Quality Control Lab and Relevant Equipments.